Level One Theraplay & MIM
Step #1, required for Theraplay certification
Register On-Line or Download a Brochure
Note: Occasionally other trainings such as Group Theraplay are offered in conjunction with this training.
Please check the master schedule.
$750, $725 for Theraplay Association members,
$625 Bring a Friend (first person pays full price)
8:00 a.m. Check-in on first day; coffee service available each day
8:30 – 4:30 Start and end times for days 1-3
8:30 – 3:30 Start and end times for day 4
A one hour lunch and two 15-minute breaks will be offered
Trainings outside of the U.S. may have a different daily schedule. Please contact us.
2010 third edition of Theraplay: Helping Parents and Children Build Better Relationships Through Attachment-Based Play, by Phyllis Booth and Ann Jernberg, a $60 value. Readings from this book will be required. If you already own the third edition, you may take a $30 deduction from your registration fee. Please click here for more information about book shipping. The book is not included in most trainings outside of the U.S., but it is highly recommended that participants purchase the book on-line.
New! Your registration fee includes participation in two web supervision sessions. You will be able to observe one of our practicum students receiving supervision of her video and ask questions of the supervisor from your own computer.
A note about our training…Level One Theraplay & MIM is a four-day training designed to teach the basics for participants to begin using Theraplay techniques in their work with existing and new clients. Clinicians who work with traumatized children, children with severe attachment issues, or very complicated family situations should plan on taking additional training or receiving supervision before using Theraplay with these clients. Beginners should use Theraplay techniques first with less complicated cases.
Enrolling in the certification practicum is not required to receive supervision.
In order to help make it easier to obtain additional training, we have restructured our Level Two training in a modular format. Trainees may register for modules independently or together.
The Level Two modules are:
- Adapting Theraplay to Work with Trauma and Complex Families
- MIM Skill Development
- Building Your Theraplay skills: new activities, adapting Theraplay to different populations, working with resistance
Each modular day will also include supervision of Theraplay work.
Please note that you may register individually for any or all of these Level Two training days. To receive credit for completion, you need to complete all three modules. Completion is required for certification.
In addition, if you work with groups of children, such as in a school or residential setting, or groups of children and their parents, you should register for the optional day of Group Theraplay often scheduled the day after the Level One training.
Learning Objectives for Level One Theraplay & MIM:
- Administer the MIM and analyze it at a beginning level
- Conduct feedback sessions with parents based upon the MIM analysis
- Use the MIM as a guideline for Theraplay treatment planning
- Differentiate and use the four Theraplay dimensions
- Describe the core concepts of Theraplay and their relationship to current attachment and brain research
- Describe how Theraplay is applied to meet the needs of children with behavior problems, foster and adopted children, children with ASD, and older children
- Describe how to guide parents to participate in a Theraplay treatment session
Special Features of this training:
- Using video, we feature demonstration of treatment of a real client family including the MIM assessment, feedback to the parents and several Theraplay sessions
- Attendance is limited to no more than 30 so that you’ll have a chance to get your questions answered
- We require one trainer for every ten participants to help make the experience as personal and rewarding as possible
- The training is interactive, intense and practical—you’ll leave with the knowledge and skills to begin using Theraplay in your work
- It features video of Theraplay treatment with many different clients in addition to the demonstration family
- The training includes interactive sessions to practice a variety of Theraplay activities
- The training concludes with the creation of a treatment plan for one of your own clients and a chance to practice it for feedback