Overview of the Theraplay Practicum
Graduates of our Level One Theraplay & MIM training may apply to the Theraplay practicum to become a Certified Theraplay Therapist.
- Up-load your treatment videos to the Theraplay We Transfer Page and receive live supervision
- Send your DVD’s to The Theraplay Institute for either written or phone feedback
- Participate in web supervision groups
- Set up face-to-face supervision
- Work with an independent certified Theraplay supervisor
We offer three levels of certification
Practicum Students who are licensed mental health professionals will receive recognition of their progress upon completion of each of these three levels.
- Theraplay Practitioner Level I: 8 supervised sessions
- Theraplay Practitioner Level II: 20 supervised sessions
- Certified Theraplay Therapist: 37 supervised sessions
Practicum students who are working on their degrees and/or licensing or who will always work under clinical supervision may earn Associate Theraplay Therapist certification. Download Procedures
Practicum students who are not mental health professionals, such as occupational therapists and special education teachers, may earn Specialized Theraplay Therapist certification. Download Procedures
To download information about certification as a Group Theraplay Specialist, click here.
Masters or doctoral degree in a mental health field specializing in working with children and families.
In countries that do not follow the U.S. education and licensing model, applicants will be asked to demonstrate an educational background that is equivalent to the above; they must be able to work independently and take responsibility for the welfare of their clients according to the rules of their country.
- Level One Theraplay & MIM, four day training
- Level Two Theraplay & MIM, three day training
Certified Theraplay Supervisors have a minimum of two years experience as a Certified Theraplay Therapist, and have undergone a rigorous practicum to become a supervisor, including successfully supervising at least four students and passing a written exam. For more information about individual supervisors, click here.
Practicum Summary Detailed Certification Procedures
- Therapist Certification Procedures
- Trainer Certification Procedures
- Group Certification Procedures
- Supervisor Certification Procedures
Contact our Practicum Manager for more information about Supervision and Certification.